Are you moving internationally and are planning to take your pet with you? For your pet to travel internationally, you’ll need to acquire a lot of paperwork before your pet can travel. And to make it even more complicated, many countries require additional paperwork for your pet to relocate to the country.

We break down the most common documents that you’ll need for your pet to relocate internationally and domestically. As well, we will list sample documentation for countries with more time-consuming paperwork for your pet relocation.

Don’t Get Caught Off Guard

Several factors can catch you off guard when traveling internationally with your pet if you are not prepared. Advanced planning is essential because often, you’ll have time constraints for procuring required documents for your pet.

Some travel documents may take several months to acquire, while other certifications you’ll have to get within days before your pet travels. This can be a confusing juggling act if you don’t have a plan in place.

Moving Domestically 

Moving domestically, you will need some documents to ship your pet to your new destination, although it is not as cumbersome as international travel. Some of the essential documents your pet will need to move domestically include:

  • A certificate of veterinary inspection (CVIs) by a licensed and certified veterinarian must be issued within ten days of the travel date.
  • A signed certificate of rabies vaccination must be issued within 30 days of the travel date.

Because these documents are time-sensitive, you’ll want to plan accordingly for visiting your vet.

Related Link: Domestic Pet Travel

small dog in arm

Moving Overseas 

Depending on where you are moving, you’ll need to check that country’s import requirements. Also, check with your airline because they may also have additional paperwork requirements. The USDA provides a useful tool for listing all the required documents for your pet’s travel to specific countries.

Common requirements include:

  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate issued within a year of travel date
  • Microchip and Implantation Record
  • Import Permits
  • Flight reservations for your pet
  • Personalized identification and emergency contact information for the pet’s kennel, including a LIVE ANIMAL sticker on the outside of the kennel
  • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) within ten days of travel
  • Government Endorsements from the USDA. These can vary depending on the country.
  • Some of these documents can take up to six weeks to process, so you’ll want to plan accordingly or enlist help from a pet shipping company.

Government Endorsements

You may need to work with the USDA to acquire different government endorsements depending on your pet’s destination country. These endorsements can include:

  • USDA endorsement of relevant documents, if required.
  • USDA endorsement consular legalization, if needed, of all relevant documents. (For some countries, the APHIS Veterinary Services office in your state must endorse the health certificate completed by your vet.)

Not quite sure you have time to handle all the requirements? Call All Paws Express at 1 (800) 626-5023 to speak to a personal consultant who will create a customized plan for your pet’s safe travel.

Related Link: What You Need to Know When Shipping a Pet Internationally

woman with cat

Example Paperwork lists

Here are some examples of the paperwork you will need for your pet to be shipped to these countries:

The United Kingdom or Europe

Because the United Kingdom has left the EU, it will require UK health certificates but will accept the EU Health Certificate until the end of March 2021. Other document requirements include:

  • Identification with microchip
  • Rabies vaccination including a 21-day waiting period after primary vaccination
  • A USDA Accredited Veterinarian or Military Veterinarian issue the UK Health Certificate
  • APHIS endorsed with counter-sign and seal of the UK Health Certificate
  • Tapeworm treatment (for dogs only). If you bring a dog from the EU, the dog must also be treated for tapeworm within 1-5 days before entering the United Kingdom.

Here are links to the United Kingdom health certificate for dogs and other pets.

United Arab Emirates

The United Arab Emirates also has some interesting requirements for your pets. One of which is that they only allow two cats, dogs, or one of each per year. Pets must also be at least 27 weeks old to enter the UAE. Here are the documents you’ll need to acquire:

  • Import permit from the UAE’s Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (only valid for 30 days, so travel will need to be within the permit’s expiration.)
  • Must travel as manifested cargo
  • Identification with microchip
  • Valid health certificate issued by USDA accredited veterinarian and endorsed by USDA. This certificate is only valid for ten days after it is issued.
  • Vaccination certificate, itemized by name, date, batch, etc.
  • Parasite treatment within 14 days before travel
  • Rabies titer test results

Dogs will need additional documents:

  • Rabies vaccination, within 21 days from travel
  • Canine distemper virus
  • Canine parvovirus
  • Infectious canine hepatitis
  • Leptospirosis

Additional documents for cats:

  • Rabies vaccination within 21 days from travel
  • Feline panleukopenia
  • Feline rhinotracheitis
  • Feline calicivirus
  • COVID-19 statement

While this is a comprehensive list, you want to check with APHIS to ensure you have all the current requirements. Also, the UAE doesn’t allow specific types of dogs, so you’ll want to check that too.

Why Not Get Some Help

As soon as you know where and when you will be relocating, you’ll want to start researching pet relocation paperwork and create a plan to bring your pet with you. While you can do this on your own, you may want to consider getting help from a professional pet shipping company.

A pet relocation service understands how to navigate the process and can create a hassle-free plan, making it one less thing to worry about before moving to a new country or domestic location. All Paws Express loves pets and specializes in international pet relocation.

Pet Relocation Paperwork is Possible

While it may seem cumbersome, getting all the pet relocation paperwork complete is worth having your pet with you in your new location. It’s essential to check all necessary documents for your destination as early as possible to create a plan that will ensure safe travel. 

Of course, hiring a pet shipping company to help will relieve the stress of making sure you’ve crossed all your t’s before the move. They can ensure everything is on time and meets requirements. 

At All Paws Express, we go above and beyond to make your furry family members’ travel comfortable. Our care is in the details, giving your pet love and attention while they relocate. We offer a turnkey solution, ensuring your pet has a safe and worry-free journey.

Are you moving out of the country and want to bring your pet? Call All Paws Express at 1 (800) 626-5023 to speak to a personal consultant that will ensure your pet receives quality care throughout the relocation process.

Related Link: Get an Estimate on Pet Relocation